Friday, February 17, 2012

Making Baby Food

Soooo, this is something I have always wanted to do, but had no time when we had Liam because I was working and I don't know, we were moving halfway across the country!  ;)  So gerber organics and earth's best jarred food were what he lived on.  I have also always been quite nervous for the simple reason that cooking is most definitely NOT my strong point!  But, with lots of good advice  from my friend Annie, I have learned that it is actually really simple.  And not to mention, it saves SO much money!  The other day, I made 4 sweet potatoes and it made 60 servings of food!!  Of course, Rowan LOVES sweet potatoes and is actually eating two servings at a time ;) so I will be making them again sometime soon, but we are stocked for now!  I also baked a butternut squash and got 14 servings out of that.  She has not tried it yet, but it is ready to go!  This weekend the plan is to make peas, green beans, broccoli, and zucchini and next weekend I will move onto the fruits.  I will post some pics at a later time, but I am quite proud of myself.  Rick even helped with the pureeing and he enjoyed himself too! 

Rowan is now eating small amounts 3 times a day.  She LOVES, LOVES, LOVES rice cereal.  This is so funny to me because Liam HATED it!  I cannot get the spoon in her mouth fast enough.  And as I said earlier, she LOVES the sweet potatoes.  Now that she is getting some different flavors, she is not really liking the avocado and I tried prunes this morning and we had a gag reflex with that one!  But she gets a little cereal in the morning and today I tried to mix in prunes.  Around 1 she gets some sweet potatoes and around 6 pm I have been giving her some more cereal.  She is still sleeping well at night, but she is still getting up two times a night every once in a while.  Also, she still is not liking naps at all during the day...doing about 4 10 minute catnaps.  No idea how she does it!  I am excited to try all of these green veggies with her next.  Liam loved green beans.  I HATED vegetables when I was preggers with her (other than corn--which is not nutritious at all) so it will be interesting to see if she hates them too!  And loves cheeseburgers.  ;)  Liam's tastes are very similar to what I craved when I was pregnant with him.  He loves spices and flavor...craved that all of the time and HATED it with her.  Interesting stuff!

Anyway, she is still mainly breastfed.  Again, totally different than with Liam.  Liam was fully breastfed for 5 weeks but we had sooo many issues from latch to stomach to spitting up that when I tried the soy formula he was so much happier and I just stopped cold turkey...we were BOTH much happier.  With ROwan it has been SUPER easy from the start.  She was fully on breast milk until 3 months.  During month 3-4, I supplemented here and there to give her a taste for the formula..maybe 15 oz. a week.  Now, months 4-5, we are giving a formula bottle every night and I am also supplementing a few other times throughout the week.  So, she is up to about 30 oz. or so per week.  I am still unsure if I am going to stop completely before we go to Key West.  We are both still really enjoying it, but the pumping at night is getting to me and I am kind of getting ready to be "free".  We will see.  She will def. still have both through 6 months, because I have a bunch frozen, but we will have to see after that.  I have REALLY enjoyed it with her...find it super relaxing.

So this was just a post about food, which made me very hungry.  I have been "fueling up" today for my big 5K tomorrow morning!  I am nervous and excited all at the same time.  I also have not run in 2 weeks (yikes!) so we will see if I make the whole thing.  AND it is supposed to rain.  ugh.  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment