Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rowan Carley Blake 10-7-2011

SHE IS HEEEEERE!  Rowan Carley (after great-great gmom) Blake made her grand entrance at 2:03 pm on October 7, 2011.  She weighed in at 7 lbs 1 oz and was 18.5 inches!!!  Here is our story....

Mommy started feeling some pressure on Thursday night before bed.  I fell asleep around 10 pm and woke up at 3:30 am to go to the bathroom and felt what I now know was my first contraction.  Since I could not fall back to sleep, I headed downstairs, made sure the hospital bags were ready, showered, had some coffee (decaf), and packed Liam up for MDO since he needed to be there at 9 am.  I woke Rick up at 5:30 to tell him that I thought I MAY be having contractions, but I could not exactly time them, so I was just going to wait until my regular OB appt. at 9:15 that morning...I told him to stay home from work just in case, so he could take Liam to school and then we could figure out the rest of the day once I saw my dr.
 
I headed to the drs. and Liam and RIck headed to school.  I had a scheduled sono, so they checked my weight, and I had lost a pound and a half, which had happened when I was going into labor with Liam....hmmmm.  Sono showed only 3.5 cm of fluid, and I should have 5.  The dr. did an exam and sure enough I was 4 cm and he could feel the head!  He walked me over to labor and delivery and told me we were having a baby!!!  :-)

I called Rick and my mom to let them know and we made plans to have the babysitter watch Liam after school and my SWEET, thoughtful, and generous friend Annie picked Liam up since she had a carseat.  They were both LIFESAVERS for us, since this was a little unexpected!  Rick made it to the hospital by 10:30.  I was in the bed ready to get my IV.  I felt GREAT!  Contractions not bad AT ALL!!!  After I was all hooked up, dr. checked me around 11:15 and I was 6 cm!  I could not believe how great I felt and how quickly it was going...then it kinda went downhill!  :/  They gave me pitocin (not sure why) and my contractions were UNBEARABLE by 12:45 and when they checked me then, I was still 6 cm...and I ordered the EPIDURAL STAT!  ;)  It only took to one side again and they pumped up the dose, so by 1:30 I was completely numb and feeling GREAT!  They drained my bladder and checked me again and I was 10 and the baby was right there!  They think she may have been stuck behind my full bladder.  Anyway, as General Hospital was starting on the TV in the room, they said push on this next contraction, and ONE PUSH, and Rowan was there!!!!!!

A little nervous, I heard Nuchal x 2...which meant the cord was wrapped twice around her neck...they were very surprised because her heart rate had stayed steady throughout the entire labor (which was pretty fast) and she never showed any signs of distress.  But, her coloring was very good once they got her cleaned up and she had an APGAR score of 9, same as Liam.  She looked SOOOO small to me because I am so used to looking at my 32 lb big boy!  But she was 7 lbs 1 oz, 18.5 inches (just like mama) and looked SOOO different than Liam when he was born.  We were SOOOO in love at one minute old!!! 
Here she is:

She let out a few whimpers and was able to feed right away for 20 minutes on either side...which brings me to my next thing.  This baby is AH-mazing!!!!
I was on the fence with whether I would breastfeed or not.  I had an awful experience with Liam...he was tongue tied and took over an hour for each feeding.  She eats in 15 minutes.  She barely cries...just small whimpers.  She loves her sponge bath.  And sleeping..O.M.G.  For the past 3 nights I have been getting 7-9 hours.  She is up during the day for about 3 hours total and sleeps the rest of the time.  Her most alert is abour 11 am-1 pm, 5-7 pm, and 8-10 pm....I PRAY this is not a honeymoon phase and she keeps it up!!!  I am SOOOO in love with having girl! 

We had our 3 day checkup on Tuesday.  Rowan was a little jaundice, so we have been sitting by the window one time per day and I think it has improved.  She was 6 lbs 15.5 oz..very close to birth weight again.  One thing I am awfully worried about, but it is very "fixable", was they found a hip click, which could be a sign of hip displaysia and she could have to wear a brace for a bit.  They will check her at her 2 week appt. and then at 6 and if it is still there, we will need to see a pediatric ortho dr.  Hopefully we will not, but there is great success with just wearing a brace for a bit, so that is very hopeful!!!!

Otherwise, all is GREAT!!!!  She is happy, healthy, and a WONDERFUL eater.  I cannot wait to watch her grow, but I want to keep this little baby for as long as I can!!  It is such a miracle!  Rowan you are a DREAM and mommy and daddy and BIG BRO love you soooo much!
                                           Going home!!!
                                             sweet angelSpeaking of big bro, he is adjusting very well.  Poor thing has been sick for the past week, AGAIN!!!--ugh!, so he was not able to come to the hospital.  :(  He has never had a cough in his 21 months, and of course, it is NOW he gets one.  All that aside, he is doing so awesome with her!  Gmom flew in on Sat. and Liam and Rick spent some quality time with her while Rowan an mommy spent their last night in the hospital.  Gmom watched Liam while daddy came to pick us up on Sunday morning around 11 am.  I missed my little guy sooo much and could not wait to see him!  We got home and he pretty much ignored her for a few hours.  Then, after nap, out of no where he went over to his sister in her bouncy chair and said, "baby" and kissed her on the forehead!!! Made us all cry!  Since then, you are want to share your crayons, books, and food with your sister and always say baby and look for her.  You are an amazing big bro, just as I knew you would be!!!!  It has been a little stressful trying to keep you from coughing on her or getting your runny nose on her, but I could never kill your sweet spirit with her.  Love you and I am so proud of you!!!
We are loving having gmom here this week:
              And here is Liam with his special present from his sister!

Cannot wait to add lots of fun experiences as a family of four!!!  Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment